Nov 1, 2009

Becoming a mom

We celebrated Reed's birthday on Labor Day! It was on a Labor Day that I found out what labor really meant. I had no idea! I remember a lady in the room next to me (we had to share rooms in those days) and she was screaming--screaming and cussing her husband. I told myself--no matter how bad it gets, I can't do what she was doing. Thankfully I kept it in and just thought I was going to die. I about lost my control when I told dad that I would never, ever go through this again and he said, "Oh come on--just think of the Indian women who would leave the trail, go into the prairie grass, give birth and catch up to the rest of the party a little bit later." Where ever he got that idea, I have no clue, but I was ready to cuss him at that point. And, he has never lived it down. It turned out to be a glorious experience--this becoming a mom. Reed was a good one to practice on--we were so young and didn't know about being parents. But he survived in spite of us. (He loves to get his picture taken) He taught us and continues to teach us a lot. I appreciate his goodness and love that he has. Have a great year Reed.

2 comments:

Kimmy said...

AWWWW-- I LOVE REEDY! He's my favorite oldest brother!
And I love that picture of him and grandpa. It makes me miss grandpa.
Dad is nuts! I would have kicked him there for making such a comment. Sheesh.

Kristy said...

O.K. kim I'm telling Tom that! We love Reedy too, he's a wonderful brother and uncle!