Oct 12, 2008

Busy!

It has been a busy two weeks! Hopefully the worst is over and things will settle down. Dad has made great progress. He stayed a week at the AF hospital where he made lots of new friends. He actually shuffled fast enough to catch a nurse, then he left her "behind". She was his physical therapist and was a sweetheart. Her name is Suzi, but she reminded me so much of our niece Shami. John, Laura, Christie and children made a visit to the hospital on Sunday and took dad some real food. Between the masks and gloves, they made sure they kept them and everything else sterile. Christie and Lucy came by on Thursday after Lucy's visit to the eye dr. She looks so cute in her glasses and she can see now! Trav and Allison and family got in on Thursday night. They got to be our first house guests. It was so good to visit with them again. They made a visit to grandpa, so the nurses decided they needed a treat. So, on Saturday night we brought grandpa home. Trav went with me to get him so he missed a little of the Priesthood session of conference. The nurse was supposed to wheel him out, but dad decided he wanted to race us and even tried popping a wheely. Sunday was a little hectic around here. I loved having everyone here but we weren't very organized. The house truely got "broke in". I loved seeing the cousins playing together. Jer and Justyn gave me a heart attack when they were playing catch with the football on the deck and on the yard. I swear that a window was going to break! I am pretty distraught about my "mistake"--the sand box. I really wanted a soft area for the kids to play in and have a swing set in, etc but I just don't know about all that sand coming in the house. Tell me what to do! I think the kids loved it. Our little girls were so cute when they kept singing songs for grandpa. He loved it. We also loved having Gary & Millie stop by. It was good to visit with them for a few minutes. (I forgot to take their picture!) Dad is improving each day. He pushes himself (well as long as he has pain pills) because he wants to be done with it and be well. It has been challenging. He hasn't slept well at night. After the first couple of night when we were up so much I told him he reminded me of his mother. Some nights we were up and down 6 to 8 times with her. He has gotten better and actually slept most of the night last night. It has been busy trying to get his breakfast and lunch ready, his water filled, jug emptied, ice machines filled, meds, pillows, books, etc, etc ready before I head out the door at 7:30. Then it repeats itself when I get home at 6:30. Then you add in shower and getting those TED hose on--I did it in less than 5 minutes today--YAHoo. Anyway, Tom has been a huge help! He stops by on his way to work and puts the CPM machines on the bed for dad and gets him anything I have forgotten or anything else he needs. He took him to the Dr in Park City on Tuesday so he could get the stitches out and he will stop by at lunch and after work to help him also. So thank you so much! Jer and John are also helping out with his many to do's on his list. With all the time he has he keeps remembering projects he wants done so he makes lots of requests. Thank you all for helping us. My sister Pam came by to see what I could do with my empty house and walls.(I also forgot to take her picture!) I kept showing her stuff I have collected and I just felt myself getting more and more overwhelmed about this project. It made me feel a tinsy bit better when she said she thought it was pretty overwhelming as well. She's even the expert! I appreciated her coming with her busy schedule--she had like 5 weddings this week and who knows how many funerals will turn up, so it was a sacrifice I know. I wish I had a magic wand that could zap and decorate. Either that or someone that had lots of time and loved to decorate! Dad went to church today and made it through Sacrament mtg. We had to take a pillow for his feet but he will insist I take 2 next week. He says he needs one to sit on. He has graduated to crutches for most of the time. Happy birthday to our little James this week. He is such a cutie--especially since he has finally warmed up to his grandma. And, a very Happy birthday to Tom today! He has been a great son and has taught me so much about love and life. I have loved having the blogs and have been able to get on some of our nieces and nephews and keep in touch with their lives. It is a great communication tool! Today Hope this week finds you all healthy and happy. Much love!

3 comments:

Kimmy said...

It makes me happy that dad is on crutches now. Maybe he's headed downhill from here.
I cant wait to see the house. You probably wont have to worry about my kids tracking in sand. It better be a white Christmas!!!
Sorry we arent closer to help you and dad out. It makes me sad.
I am glad you blog and keep us updated! Kylie was surprised to see Luce with glasses. She does look cute in them! When did sis recognize she wasnt seeing clearly?
Ty helped me make cookies today and said we should send granpa some cookie dough to make him happy. I told him that was a great idea but it probably doesnt ship very well with out being refridgerated. He said we should just drive up there and take him some then. How I wish we could! Telll dad HI for us! We miss you guys so much!

Kristy said...

I love all the pictures. And couldn't believe how great dad is getting around! I think he's right and it's all the prayers from the grandkids that are coming into action!

Brenda said...

Welcome Home Bennie! I'm happy to see you are home! It looks like you have a great family around you to help you get better!

Brianna calls Brian's crutches cheetos! She always says, "Do you need your cheetos!"

Kimmy, I think you should drive your cookie dough to Utah..I'll go with you! ha ha